Lately, I’ve made an effort to read more and game less (darn you, Forge of Empires!). I’ve also cancelled my Netflix subscription to save money. Not sure that’s quite working out as I’ve purchased a couple (maybe several?) books of late.
I’m attempting to start 2020 with a reading blitz. I’m going to share my last 5 reads and some quick thoughts about them. Please be sure to let me know if you’ve read any of the books I’ve mentioned. Also, if you have book recommendations for me, leave them in the comments.
1. Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock #13) by Faith Hunter. This book continues my urban fantasy reading kick! I had really missed Jane, Bruiser, and the gang. Unlike previous books in this series, this one was set in Asheville, North Carolina. I did miss New Orleans a bit. Overall a solid addition to the series. 4.5 stars
2. Shadow Hunter (Rosie O’Grady’s Paranormal Bar and Grill #1) by B.R. Kingsolver. Another urban fantasy read. First time I’ve picked up something by this author. Not bad, but it started slowly for me (in an info dump kind of way!). The characters grew on me, and the action kept me interested. 3.5 stars
3. Night Stalker (Rosie O’Grady’s Paranormal Bar and Grill #2) by B.R. Kingsolver. Continuing with urban fantasy and the same author…overall, a better read than the first book. Lots of action, but I wanted to see more character development. Still like the “scooby gang” and the bar, but it helps if the heroine isn’t perfect at everything she does. #justsayin 4 stars
Continue reading “My Last 5 Reads”
I seem to be fickle of late or maybe it’s ADHD. I can’t seem to stick with a book and … Continue reading Current Reads
In the evenings, I’ve gotten back to reading. I’m filling up my tablet’s memory with Kindle books. Trust me, I’m not complaining. The only difficult thing, at times, is to figure out what I want to read next.
I started my “roll” with The Last Echo by Michael Connelly. It’s the first book in the Harry Bosch series. Harry is a detective in LAPD’s Hollywood Division. I’ve read through Book 11, The Closers, and then looked for something else. I wasn’t sure how I would like the books when Harry retired, but I kept on going. I finally took a break because I got the feeling Harry’s going to get really hard on himself, and I’m afraid that’s going to take away from the story. I could be totally wrong, but I decided a change was in order.
I tried John Sandford’s Rules of Prey, the first book in the Lucas Davenport series. It did not work for me. I couldn’t connect with Davenport (the detective), and some of the things that happened in the book left me sour.
Continue reading “Recent Reads”
I’m back to reading. I had taken a break to watch sketching videos to try and improve. Plus, I got to the point that I didn’t know what I wanted to read. Nothing sounded good.
I’ve gotten back to reading Urban Fantasy. I especially like stories set in New Orleans. I’ve never visited there, but the city seems to fit the genre rather well.
Lately I’ve been reading Faith Hunter’s Jane Yellowrock series. I just finished book 10, Shadow Rites. I’m hoping to start Cold Reign tonight. Right now, there is one more book in the series. I’m hoping it doesn’t end there.
I’ve always like Jane for her fearlessness, her desire to do anything to protect those whom she loves, and her snark/wit. Continue reading “Jane Yellowrock Series”
Title: Lurking in the Shadows
Edited by: Jaidis Shaw
Published: June 28th, 2016
Publisher: CHBB Publishing
Genre: Short Story, Horror, Paranormal, Fantasy
Embrace the darkness.
Murderous entities, haunted houses, screaming banshees, and sympathetic necromancers are just a few of the chilling things you’ll encounter in this anthology. Follow our authors into the shadows … if you dare.
Stories featured in this anthology include the following:
“Release” by E.M. Fitch
“On Two Lane Roads” by Shelly Schulz
“Too Young to Kill” by Lily Luchesi
“An Empty Building” by Jacqueline E. Smith
“Living Nightmare” by Savannah Rohleder
“The House on Juniper Lane” by Jaidis Shaw
“Dorcha Scath” by Liz Butcher
“Scream for the Night” by Gina A. Watson
“Bump in the Night, Inc” by Melody Black
“Revenant” by Stacey Jaine McIntosh
“Lizzie” by Tania Hagan
Amazon | GoodReads Continue reading “Lurking in the Shadows Book Blitz”
Title: Changing Moon
Series: Paranorm World #3
Author: June Stevens
Published: June 30th, 2016
Publisher: Crimson Tree Publishing
Genre: NA mature Paranormal Romance
Content Warning: Contains adult and sexual content
Recommended Age: 17+
A brutal attack has left Anya’s body and life forever changed.
The man she loved is gone, her relationship with her family is in tatters, and her future is dead. With the woman who attacked her still at large, her growing friendship with Luca is the one comfort keeping her sane.
Determined to take control of her life and her body, she finds her purpose to move forward… getting revenge.
Amazon | Barnes & Noble | GoodReads Continue reading “Changing Moon Book Blitz”
Yes, I’m still alive and mostly well!! I started grad school two weeks ago, and have been absolutely overwhelmed. I knew to expect a lot of work, but this is a bit much! My life outside of work has been dedicated to school—no blogging, no writing, very minimal sketching, and even less exercise (boo!).
I feel like I’ve managed my time a bit better this week so I’m going to take a moment to relate some of my recent activities.
On the reading front…
- I’m almost caught up on Daniel Silva’s Gabriel Allon series. I’m holding off on the next book because once I finish that one, I will have to wait until July to read the next one.
- I have gone back to the Scot Harvath series, written by Brad Thor. I’m reading Blowback now, and while it is good, Scot isn’t Gabriel, and Brad’s writing doesn’t have the in-depth, smooth flow that Silva’s does.
On the movie front…
- I went to see London Has Fallen in the theater. I know, it got pretty crappy reviews, but if you’re in the mood for lots of action, this is the movie for you! Also, it doesn’t hurt that two hot guys in suits do an awesome job of staying alive and taking care of the bad guys.
Continue reading “My Blog, How I have missed thee”