If you’re a fan of M-M Romance (with some fantasy/military type stuff added in), and you haven’t checked out Charlie Cochet’s THIRDS series, you really, really need to. I fell in love with the first book, and today I finished reading #5.
This was Cael and Ash’s book so it was a special one…one that I’d been eagerly awaiting. Unfortunately, I’ve been reading other genres of late so I missed the release. Never fear, I’m caught up once again.
As the fiercest Defense Agent at the THIRDS, Destructive Delta’s Ash Keeler is foul-mouthed and foul-tempered. But his hard-lined approach always yields results, evident by his recent infiltration of the Coalition. Thanks to Ash’s skills and the help of his team, they finally put an end to the murdering extremist group for good, though not before Ash takes a bullet to save teammate Cael Maddock. As a result, Ash’s secrets start to surface, and he can no longer ignore what’s in his heart.
Cael Maddock is no stranger to heartache. As a Recon Agent for Destructive Delta, he has successfully maneuvered through the urban jungle that is New York City, picking up his own scars along the way. Yet nothing he’s ever faced has been more of a challenge than the heart of Ash Keeler, his supposedly straight teammate. Being in love isn’t the only danger he and Ash face as wounds reopen and new secrets emerge, forcing them to question old loyalties.
My Thoughts…(this is going to be tough…I don’t want to spoil anything):
- The way the book started had me cracking up! Sgt. Maddock having his chat with Sloane and Ash. Awesome!
- More laughing with Dex and Cael preparing for Thanksgiving.
- I wondered about the villain in this one. Maybe I’m dense, but I did not see the twist coming.
- I did see the Austen and Sparks situation coming, but it didn’t bother me any.
- Ash ticked me off in the beginning, but when I realized the depth of his background, it made more sense. I was so happy when he came around and trusted enough to confide in Cael. Nice touch, too, with Ash’s mom.
- Cael had is own demons to face. The action-packed ending helped him deal with that asshole ex.
- Ash teaching CQC to Cael and Dex was both infuriating and comical!
- There wasn’t a lot of shifting in this book, but I was glad when it finally happened.
- Not much Calvin and Hobbs…I’m curious where things are headed for them.
A solid read and one I needed. I missed the sexy alpha men from THIRDS. 4 out of 4 stars!
You can find Charlie on her website here.
She notes that THIRDS #6, Catch a Tiger by the Tale, is due out in February 2016. Yay! (And yes, I just need to have some patience. This will be Calvin and Hobb’s book.)