I promise, I’m trying to get back to blogging. I really am!
Well, I have an excellent reason for a post…I finished Blood Kiss last night. Before I go any farther, I will gladly admit that I wasn’t happy with the ending of The Shadows and came very close to swearing off anything new from J.R. Ward.
Of course, I’m a sucker for the Brothers so I decided to check out Blood Kiss. After all, I’d read some great reviews, and the thought of going back to the training center…keeping our old favorites while introducing some new blood had me excited.
Paradise, blooded daughter of the king’s First Advisor, is ready to break free from the restrictive life of an aristocratic female. Her strategy? Join the Black Dagger Brotherhood’s training center program and learn to fight for herself, think for herself…be herself. It’s a good plan, until everything goes wrong. The schooling is unfathomably difficult, the other recruits feel more like enemies than allies, and it’s very clear that the Brother in charge, Butch O’Neal, a.k.a. the Dhestroyer, is having serious problems in his own life.
And that’s before she falls in love with a fellow classmate. Craeg, a common civilian, is nothing her father would ever want for her, but everything she could ask for in a male. As an act of violence threatens to tear apart the entire program, and the erotic pull between them grows irresistible, Paradise is tested in ways she never anticipated—and left wondering whether she’s strong enough to claim her own power…on the field, and off.My Thoughts:
- What a solid read! There weren’t 10,000 plot threads and 1,000 POVs. The story mainly focused on Paradise, or “Parry,” and Craeg. There was a mystery tucked in among the training, but it all wrapped up nicely at the end (and was related).
- We got a lot of Butch and V. Marissa. Some Rhage. Not much on the other Brothers, but I’m okay with that. I enjoyed meeting Parry and Craeg, Axe, and Peyton (sort of, for him!!!). Can’t fail to mention Manny, Doc Jane, and the rest of the medical team. Training will necessitate healers, especially when it’s done BDB-style.
- The opening of training for the new recruits rocks! If you had any doubt about the Brothers’ creativity, this will put it all to rest. It was “Hell Night” to say the least! They wanted to whittle the class down, and it happened. Quickly. The winner may surprise you, but that person rocked it! (Trying to avoid spoilers so work with me!)
- Lassiter nearly stole the show! I’m going to find the passage about his part in “Hell Night” and quote it below.
- The last scene was nothing short of fabulous. I wish I could go into detail, but it would include too many spoilers. Needless to say, I wasn’t happy that the book was over so soon.
Okay, to get out of spoiler realm, I’m going to share some of my favorite passages. This may be hard to do because there were a lot of them. While the tone could be very serious, there were also light moments that had me laughing out loud (good thing no one else was around as I probably looked pretty silly!). Here goes….
Starting at 20%:
“Is it my turn yet?” Lassiter asked over the earpiece. “I was born ready for this.”
“Of all the people who could be immortal,” V muttered, “why are you one of them?”
“Because I’m awwwwwesome,” the fallen angel sang. “And I’m part of your team–”
“No you’re not–”
“–living your dream!”
(this is from Paradise’s POV)
On the far side of the still-emptying pool, a huge male with blond-and-black hair had entered the space…In fact his body was the light. He was glowing…
He was wearing a scuba mask and snorkel set pushed off his handsome face…a set of flippers that slapped over the slick floor as he approached the pool’s edge…a slingshot bathing suit that was hot pink…and a children’s yellow-and-blue floaty around his waist.
Next… The shellans decided to have a movie night. Of course, the movie was Magic Mike XXL. Surprisingly (or maybe not), their hellrens had a really difficult time with this. They were rather pathetic to say the least…
“This is not as pathetic as it looks,” her Butch pointed out.
“Liar,” V muttered. “It so fucking is. I think I’m going to start knitting for reals.”
“Is it me,” one of the males groused, “or did we just perform our own mass castration out here?”
“I think that just about sums this shit up,” somebody agreed. “I’m wearing panties under my leathers from now on. Anyone joining me?”
“Lassiter already does,” V said…
And there you have an introduction to Blood Kiss. J.R. Ward has created a masterpiece that has me falling in love with the BDB all over again.
5 out of 5 stars