Long Time Gone is book #2 in the Hell or High Water series by S.E. Jakes. I think I read this one just as fast as I read Catch a Ghost. This story focused more on Tommy; we got to learn a number of his secrets – the horrible experiences that made him the man he is today. And thank goodness Prophet reacted the way he did when all this started coming up.
Description: Soldier of fortune Prophet Drews always worked alone—until Tom Boudreaux became his partner. But when Tom walked away three months ago, ostensibly to keep Prophet safe, Prophet learned the true meaning of being alone. Everyone knows that Prophet, a Navy SEAL turned CIA spook turned mercenary, can look after himself. Which means he must’ve driven his lover away.
Even with half a world between them, Prophet can’t get the man out of his head. Maybe that’s why he’s in New Orleans in the middle of a hurricane, protecting Tom’s aunt. But the only looter around is Tom, bursting back into Prophet’s life. It turns out that Prophet’s been stuck in Tom’s head—and heart—too.
Their explosive reunion gets even hotter when Tom is arrested for murder. As they fight to clear his name, they delve deep into his past, finding enemies among everyone they meet. Staying alive in such a dangerous world is hard enough, but they soon discover that fighting to stay together is the most difficult thing they’ve ever done.
- This story started with Tommy emailing Prophet (and continuing to email him) even though he got no response from Prophet. Granted, the PIA was busy saving folks on black ops missions, but still . . .
- A nasty hurricane threatened New Orleans and Tommy’s Aunt Della, the one relative he cares about (notice dear ole dad isn’t in that category). Prophet turns down an undercover gig to go help Aunt Della (who quickly falls in love with him) since Tom is out of the country for EE.
- I don’t want to spoil the spectacular reunion between the two, but it so totally rocks!! Ask Dave and Roger – heh heh!
- Ms. Jakes does a great job with having both Prophet and Tom grow in this story. The boys obviously had the language of love down, but their verbal communication skills improved, too. Tom even shared more than he had in the first book. Prophet still isn’t one to share, but he let Tommy know that he was there for him and not going anywhere (sorry if that was a spoiler!).
- Good murder-mystery in this one. Poor Tom. He really does have some bad luck, but he’s also got some good friends who make a timely appearance.
- Prophet and gators: eye-watering funny!! Prophet drunk: also very funny!
- Still flirting via IM between Cillian and Prophet, which serves to make Tommy very jealous! And the couch is still featured! Ha!
- Mick and Blue are included more in this one. Mal and King also make appearances.
- One thing that didn’t happen that I wanted to see happen: I wanted E to give Prophet his first piercing – a nipple piercing. Wouldn’t that have been hot??
- The ending was true to the characters and worked perfectly. It definitely made me smile.
4.5 out of 5 stars
Next Read: Dirty Deeds, which is Mal & Cillian’s story.
Description: Two seasoned operatives finally meet their match: each other.
Cillian works for the mysterious Special Branch 20: an organization that runs black ops commissioned by the British government. His specialty is deep undercover assignments with virtually no support. He’s been alone for so long that he no longer knows anything else.
Mal’s also used to being alone. Wanted in several states and even more countries, he’s not allowed in the vicinity of any of his former Navy SEAL teammates. And his current assignment is to track Cillian in order to discover the spook’s endgame. Except he’s no longer sure which one of them is getting played.
Cillian isn’t about to let the mission that’s consumed him for the past several years crumble because an outsider is poking around where he doesn’t belong. But Mal forces his way through Cillian’s defenses—and into his heart—exposing a devastating betrayal that could destroy them both.
I confess, I’m a bit worried. This one is only 94 pages. I’ve already started it – definitely good. Some very hot sex scenes! Wow! I think these two have taken sexting to the next level! Can’t wait to get back to it!