Well, I admit it. I got nothing done the first half of Sunday because I was so addicted to S.E. Jakes’s book Catch a Ghost (Hell or High Water, #1). I guess I should mention that I was up reading well past my bedtime Saturday night. This is one amazing m-m romance read. Wow!
Description: Everyone knows that Prophet—former Navy SEAL, former CIA spook, full-time pain in the ass—works alone and thinks only about the trouble he can cause. But his boss, Phil Butler of Extreme Escapes, LTD., has just assigned Proph not only a new partner but also a case haunted by ghosts from Proph’s past. Suddenly, he’s got to confront them both head on.
Tom Boudreaux—failed FBI agent, failed sheriff, full time believer in bad luck—is wondering why the head of a private contracting firm has hunted him down to offer him a job. Still he’s determined to succeed this time, despite being partnered with Prophet, EE, LTD’s most successful, lethal, and annoying operative, and even though the case is also resurrecting his own painful past.
Together, Prophet and Tom must find a way to take down killers in the dangerous world of underground cage matches, while fighting their own dangerous attraction. And when they find themselves caught in the crossfire, these two loners are forced to trust each other and work together to escape their ghosts . . . or pay the price.
My Thoughts (there are quite a few so get ready!):
- I just loved Prophet even though he is a huge PIA and is way too good at pushing those who care about him away. Far away. His former lives of being a Navy SEAL and a CIA agent have damaged him nearly beyond repair. Oh, did I mention yet that he’s all muscle, hot as sin, and can take care of himself?
- Tom Boudreaux, aka Cajun or Voodoo, rocks! The initial scene with him at the airport had me rolling with laughter! Piercings and tattoos – yum. Oh, can’t forget his special ability either. Prophet, though, isn’t the only one carrying a lot of baggage. Tommy is just as damaged in his own way.
- Obviously, you can tell I loved the characters. We get a glimpse of Mal, another sexy bad ass operator who can’t speak. Cillian was awesome – the British spook and his sexting with Prophet was priceless. Oh, can’t forget about the couch thing either – hilarious!!
- Are you getting the idea that this is a must-read that needs to be moved to the top of your list?
- The plot is action-filled – a cage fight, bullets flying, and the occasional ghost (just to mention a few things).
- Sex scenes – hot, hot, and hotter! Tom and Prophet don’t mess around. Love how observant Tommy is – Prophet doesn’t stand a chance.
- I have a small grumble about the ending: I “flipped” the page on my Kindle, and that was it. No more story. WTH?! I want more!! Good thing the next installment is already available or else there would be trouble…
- My only slightly negative thing is that I wish some of the backstory/ flashbacks with Prophet and John would have started earlier in the story. I felt like there was a lot of important stuff crammed in the last 25% of the book.
If you are a lover of m-m romance with incredible characters, who – darn it, can’t spoil anything, but, needless to say, you’ve got to check out this series!
My rating is a well-deserved 4.5 out of 5 stars!
If you need me, I’ll be reading Long Time Gone (book #2 in the series) so please interrupt only if it is an emergency!