I knew once I started it that I wouldn’t be able to put it down. So, it was my post-surgery reward. Book #11 in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Lover at Last, by J.R. Ward.
I’m probably one of the last BDB fans to be reading it, but it was so worth the wait. I love both Blay and Qhuinn, and I was so excited to see how they got their HEA. Ms. Ward did not disappoint. In fact, I was beginning to wonder as I got closer to the end… Never fear.
There was a lot going on in this book – all 591 pages of it – besides the drama between Qhuinn (and Layla) and Blay (and Saxton). Trez got a lot of page time as did Xcor and Assail. In fact, I’m not sure how she kept track of the POV’s!
Since so many people have discussed the good and not so good about this, I think I’m going to try a different approach. Be careful if you haven’t read it – there very well may be spoilers below!!!
- Character I want to know more about: Trez – what is going to happen with the Chosen and the queen’s daughter? What exactly is a Shadow?
- Scene that gave me the warm fuzzies: iAm, who loves his brother despite his faults (and the rampant, nameless sex he has), going to Rehv for help and asking for sanctuary at the BDB mansion.
- Hottest sex scene: the first one between Blay and Qhuinn (wish I would have marked the page). But, please, can we have some lube for these poor boys??
- First laugh: Qhuinn and the CVS clerk when discussing blindness (John Matthew). Only to be topped by his call to V asking for help locating the the Hummer, keys in the ignition, when it was stolen.
- Another laugh: Wrath telling Qhuinn not to worry about destroying the yard landing the plane that Fritz liked to pull weeds.
- A bit over-the-top: Phury reacting to Layla’s pregnancy via Qhuinn. Also, a close second, Qhuinn nearly strangling Sax, which leads to the next category…
- Unneeded drama: Blay keeping his break-up with Sax from Qhuinn for way too freaking long!
- The two characters I really want to see together: Layla and Xcor. Trust me, the scene in the Mercedes is priceless. (Although, Layla driving was kind of comical!)
- Character who got what was coming to him: Havers for the way he treated Layla after learning she was a Chosen.
- Couple other things… Blay’s parents rocked – the best!; loved how close Z and Qhuinn got after the plane ride; liked Assail at the end, wish he didn’t rely so heavily on coke; and Payne is pretty freaking upstanding.
One vague complaint – don’t want to spoil too much – Qhuinn really needed something to give Blay in the last scene. Don’t you think?
Qhuinn had so much to overcome from his upbringing and just because he has one blue eye and one green eye. I could have cried a couple of times when he felt like he truly had family again. If you’ve read the book, you know when those moments were. It was amazing how the Brothers took to him. It gave me a nice, big, warm smile.
4 out of 5 stars